The recipe works well with lamb or chicken too and is a great way to get lots of vegetables into a meal. As always you can replace the vegetables with what you have at home but do remember to add new vegetables to your diet each week.
- 500 g Fusilli pasta/ spaghetti or courgettie
- 500 g Turkey mince
- 230 g Cherry tomatoes chopped in halves
- 225 g Leeks chopped semi-finely
- 225 g Courgettes chopped semi-finely
- 220 g large tomatoes chopped semi-finely
- 10 g Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 140 g Bell pepper chopped semi-finely
- 135 g White onion chopped semi-finely
- 3 tbs Olive oil
- 2 tbs Tomato puree
- 20 g Fresh basil torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Salt/Black pepper to taste
- 10 g Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Mixed dried herbs
- 30 g cold pressed olive oil this is not for cooking but to drizzle once serving
Use a large saucepan with a lid. Pour enough water or chicken bone broth to the pan to lightly cover the bottom. Bring to the boil.
Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and allow them to become soft. Add water if needed.
Add the mince and allow that to cook for a few minutes.
Next add all the remaining vegetables and herbs. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Do not add water initially, as the vegetables and turkey mince should release water. However if you need some add, sparingly.
If you are having it with pasta put the pasta on to cook, following the instructions at the same time as you start to cook the pasta.
If you are using courgettie, then you will not need to cook this. It will cook with the heat of the hot bolognaise, once you put it in the dish.
When serving garnish with a sprig of basil and a drizzle of the olive oil.